I have decided to wear 2-4 me-made pieces per week. The reason is simple: I work from home (I'm a freelance writer currently), and as such I rarely get out of yoga pants and a t-shirt. Why bother? It's just me, the cats, and my computer most days. So 2-4 makes sense as I can totally "force" myself to get dressed and go outside a few times. So all-in-all, I need about 8-12 pieces of clothing IF I don't re-wear an item.
So, in anticipation of Me-Made-May'12, I've formulated the following plan
- If I make a few pairs of "lounge pants" (aka pajama pants), I could TOTALLY have a few new "outfits"... right? I mean, it's me-made and it's clothing and I'll be wearing it....
- I'm going to re-visit the Colette Sorbetto. I think I need to lengthen it and maybe get creative with the center pleat to make it wearable. Plus, summer IS right around the corner. I think if I get my prior fitting issues sorted, I may be able to knock out, oh let's say, three or four of these?
- I've really sucked at completing the Sew Weekly challenges of late. However, there are a few that I missed that I'd like to revisit, and I'm certain a few coming up that I'd like to take part in. If I can manage two of these in May, that's two more articles of clothing.
That still really only gets me about half way there. I don't know--maybe I was too eager and ambitious and should totally scrap the whole idea. But that totally feels like chickening out. And I really hate that idea.
So these are some of the options that fall into my above stated plan:
- April 30th on the Sew Weekly is a "Pink" theme. I'm not a huge fan of pink (I really only like fuchsia/darker pinks) but I do have some black calico with pink flowers on it and a pink calico with little flowers on it. I'm thinking I could use Simplicity 1803 bust version B or C with the black calico and add some fake piping using the pink calico for an extra pop. It's a summery looking dress, right?
- I also have this navy blue and white stripped fabric that I've been toying with the idea of modifying Simplicity 2444 to make chevrons on the bodice. This project is currently a bit daunting and may not be completed before/during the duration of Me-Made-May'12.
- Remember these fabrics? I'm thinking they're excellent choices for shirts. (The swiss dot, by the way, is less salmon colored and more traffic cone orange, but the return policies at Denver Fabrics are beyond ridiculous so I sucked it up and kept the fabric. I figured, if paired with something like Army/Olive green, it might actually look alright for summer.) I'm debating what patterns to use with these fabrics. The blue really wants to be some sort of pussy-bowed shirt and the orange may want to be a Sorbetto or a Taffy. But I've also got McCall's 6519, which includes a really airy shirt.
|Vintage Vogue pattern, I'm not sold on this pattern for the Swiss dot.|
- Lounge pant wise I've got two patterns. I'm leaning more towards the McCall's for the simple reason it looks roomier and I like a lot of room in my lounge pants. I've got plenty of cotton fabric that really has no other purpose than lounge pants.
So there you have it, some Me-Made-May'12 planning. Anyone else participating in Me-Made-May and kinda freaking out about it?